Friday, January 21, 2011

Let them eat cake.

I have an obsession with monarchs. Hey, I grew up in the 80s, and Princess Diana was my hero. (I'll get to my anglophilia and Prince William obsession at a later time. Official Royal Wedding 2011 watch here! Geez, maybe I should put a counter up on the side! Digression...)

I have an obsession with monarchs. Mostly of the British variety, but when I learned French in high school, my mom bought me a book on Marie Antoinette. I realize there isn't much truth to the "let them eat cake" phrase that is attributed to Marie (we're on a first name basis) and thank dieu for that. The great biographer, Antoina Fraser, pointed out that the phrase was said 100 years before Marie by the wife of Louis XIV. "It was a callous and ignorant statement," Fraser writes, "and she, Marie Antoinette, was neither."

Well stated.

Recently, I acquired this adorable cosmetic bag by Too Faced. I tried to tell myself I didn't need it, but the graphic beckoned me...the cake in hand, the Eiffel Tower in the background, the beautiful roses.



It reminded me so much of the (awesome) Kirsten Dunst portrayal of Marie. (I don't give a toot about historically accurate, that movie was an eye pleaser, a colorful feast for the eyes.)



And, as an added bonus, it's going to look great with my Marie ring.

Qu’ils mangent de la brioche.


No comments: