Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Spring


Each St. Patrick's Day, I bust out this purse given to me by my late grandmother, the person that gave me my shopping gene. She always believed auctions, variety stores, and garage sales were full of treasures and because of that, I can't pass a dollar store without thinking of her. I often find myself saying "It was only $1!" to my husband, which was her Eureka cry after finding a random marabou-covered item or knick-knack.
Embarrassingly enough in my childhood, I somehow gave her the nickname "Cracker." Though I eventually started calling her Grandma (probably when I learned "Cracker" is somewhat racially charged...) her kids always called her Annette. I have few memories of my dad or his siblings calling her "mom," but I think Annette suited her. Certainly better than "Cracker!" Kids say the darnedest things...
Spring is the time I remember her most. Though she decorated for all holidays, I think she particularly loved Easter, garnishing the house with eggs and baby chicks. What I didn't know about her until she died, however, is that while she brought me a bag of marshmallow Peeps and chocolate bunnies, she brought an even bigger bag of Easter treats to our church for the kids of our Parish who were less fortunate. I didn't realize what a big contributor she was to our church's food bank. But I shouldn't be surprised, that was Annette. Always thinking of someone else.
"If you don't like it, you don't have to wear it," she reminded me when she gave me the purse, knowing how much I loved bags. And sure, it's no Louis Vuitton, but it's one of my most treasured bags because it reminds me that I am a bargain hunting, indecisive, holiday-decorating, Hershey's-chocolate-loving member of the Brown family...


I miss you, Annette.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Adorable bag!! You should carry it more than one day a year :o)

Unknown said...

Grandmas are the best, I concur.

HeartofNoah said...

Lindsie,
Mom was the one who wanted to be called Cracker. And Grandpa was Bumpa. She wasn't sure she was ready to be a Grandma yet, though I am sure that when you were ready, she was, too.
Love,
Aunt Bev