Sunday, March 31, 2013

Cadbury Egg Nails / Illamasqua Speckled Nail Varnish

I'm poor at maintaining my nails, because they're in poor condition to start with. Nails are too high maintenance for me to do, and I feel like even going to get manicures on a regular basis is too high maintenance. I must make more of an effort.



I normally don't go for gimmicky polishes, but rather solid colors. However, when I saw Illamasqua Speckled Polish, I knew I had to have it. Not only do I love speckled egg shell pattern, but this polish reminds me of Cadbury Mini Eggs, which is my mother's favorite Easter candy. (For me, they're a close second to Cadbury Cream Eggs.) This post is for her! My mother has such impeccable, durable nails that polish doesn't stay on her at all. She does nothing to them and always looks perfectly manicured. I'm jealous from my corner in hangnail hell!



I chose the shade Mottle, a light spring green. The egg shell effect is due to glitter (blue, in this case). While I normally have an aversion to glitter, this glitter is so busy giving off an egg shell pattern that it creates its own diversion. It lasts as long as any typical polish on me--about 2 days or so even with base and top coats. Two coats gives enough opacity, but I happened to use 3 for these photos. I also topped it with Essie Matte About You top coat to give it a real egg look. I much prefer it with matte topcoat. It's not super shiny without the matte coat, but I feel it lends a really natural effect with it.



This was a limited edition polish, so you'd have to peruse your local Sephora to see if they have any left. They're out of stock online, and the store I went to only had 2 of 5 shades available for purchase. It's $16, and I think it's worth every penny.

This was my first Illamasqua purchase, and I'll definitely be back for more. I love the edginess of the brand and their out of the box approach to cosmetics.

As always, this product was Molly-approved.

No comments: