Wednesday, February 6, 2013

New Glasses / Tom Ford Cat Eye Frames

I have beginner's luck.

Recently, I learned how to play Blackjack. By the end of the evening, I had kicked my husband's (read: teacher's) ass and had doubled my "money".

Similarly, with big purchases that require commitment, in the end I tend to go with the first thing I tried. It happened with my wedding dress, my car, and most recently, what I'll have on my face for the next few years. I tend to gravitate immediately to what I end up eventually purchasing, but not before trying EVERYTHING else to be sure.

As with most things, I went in with one thing in mind (conservative, metal Tiffany & Co. frames with a hint of embellishment) and, clearly, came out with something else entirely-the Tom Ford Cat Eye frame. (TF5189 to be exact.) I tried on frames for at least half an hour, and everything seemed to be reminiscent of what I already owned (black, plastic Shanghai Tang frames--which I still love!). These wild things were the first pair I tried on, and what I kept coming back to. At first, I was astounded by how good they actually looked. Then, I had to convince myself to not just think outside the box, but to get rid of the box altogether. "I couldn't..." I thought. "Or, can I...?"

And so, I did.

Thus far, the public approval rating has been high! My husband would likely rather I had chosen something else, as he asked me when the moon landing was scheduled to occur, but I think they're growing on him.

Maybe in 10 years I'll look back and wonder what the hell I was thinking, but right now I'm happy for the throw-back vibe they lend my overall look.


No comments: